Meyer myth busting: guards explained concisely

Myth1: Meyer is hugely complicated with lots of novel new guard positions
Myth1.1: Meyer is a massive departure from the earlier systems, just take his many guard positions as an example.

"the four guards work like this: the opponent is divided into four parts as has been shown previously in the illustration. The upper two are called the Ox, the lower two are called the Plow. Now when you have your weapon high on the right or left, then are standing in the Ox or Steer, and whatever you may execute by way of techniques or cuts from the Ox, you can also execute the same from all your other upper posture or guards."
"And you should not get confused that there are more than four named guards, such as Steer, Watch, Wrath Guard. These names arise from the intent, and should not be taken as being primary, as for example: I hold my weapon gathered for a stroke up above my head so that the point extends behind me, which I call the Watch - not that it is not in the Ox, but because my intention is thus with a gathered or prepared stroke to take heed and watch where his cuts make him open, so that I may be ready to cut to his opening; thus I may say, he stands in the Ox and holds a good Watch."
Meyer 1568, Forgeng. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HEMA games

Kit Review: Superior Fencing "16th C. HEMA Jacket 800 N"

10 simple tips for improving HEMA sparring